The Fashion Plateau
Upon a mildly successful closet cleaning today, which consisted of throwing a solid 70% of my closet into the I-Don’t-Wear-This-Stuff-Anymore pile, I realized one thing (other than that I buy way too much shit). I was having trouble determining which items I would actually wear and which ones would continue to collect dust in the back of my closet. My indecisiveness left me not only frustrated, but concerned.
What’s wrong with me if I can’t even decide whether I like or dislike a freakin’ shirt? This got me thinking.
Because my taste in clothing changes so rapidly, perhaps I’m currently at one of those plateau moments. I realize that I hit these plateaus quite frequently actually. They often occur after I recoup from a busy period in my life (finals just ended, and I just moved out of my dorm to back home) where I find myself focusing on other- seemingly more important things- other than fashion. During this time, I mindlessly pick out looks that look somewhat decent, but definitely aren’t anything spectacular or- dare I say it- innovative. Cue my Most Worn Things video to see the type of outfits I’m talking about. I mean, I made an entire video centered around these self-defining, lazy outfits, yet I still felt compelled to share them with you all- so they must be worthwhile, right? That’s besides the point, however.
After hitting this fashion plateau today I started thinking about exactly what colors, prints, silhouettes, and trends I’ll see myself wearing this summer. And due to this fashion plateau I’ve been in, I haven’t truly thought about this g. Though this is not necessarily something I think we all have to decipher every time our taste in clothing shifts, I think it’s nice to have a mental list of what you’re loving- whether it is for conversational purposes or inspirational ones.
With that said, proceeding MUCH careful thought and consideration (LOL), here are nine trends I’ll see myself donning (I always love using that word) this summer:
- SILK. If I could wear one type of top this summer, it would be silky tank tops. There is something so relaxed yet sensual about them that appeals to me so much. By the way, if you’re looking for some silky pieces, brace yourself for all the obnoxious pre-teens and take a trip into Brandy Melville. They have some awesome silk tops right now.
- MULES. Personally I think mules is the ugliest word (probably biggest the shoes themselves aren’t the most attractive).
- DENIM ON DENIM. This trend fades in and out faster for me than my preference in almond butter brand, but in the present moment, I’m all for it.
- JEANS. Eh, I know, kind of boring. The only reason I mention jeans is because they’re not something I typically wear in the summer. But this summer, I’m feeling like my Levi Wedgie’s are gonna hold a near and dear place in my heart. (And yes, I got the Levi Wedgie jeans- not my proudest purchase).
- RED. A girl can do no wrong with a little bit of red. (That’s definitely not a saying.)
- STRIPES. Of all variations.
- RED EYESHADOW. I just realized this is redundant to #5, oops. I am the most boring person when it comes to makeup- I’ve been doing the same winged eyeliner and the occasional neutral eyeshadow everyday since 8th grade. But there’s something about this whole drug-attic-esque red eyeshadow trend that appeals to me.
- EXAGGERATED SLEEVES. Even though I just made a post not too long ago about my affinity for off-the-shoulder tops, I think exaggerated sleeved tops might just top them.
- NIPS. Not really a trend, more of a lifestyle. I’m not the biggest bra-wearer to begin with, but if my nips are showing I used to be one to cover them up by putting on a bra. Not now, ladies. I’ve learned to simply not give a shit and embrace my nips.
Hope all of your summers are off to a great start, and if you’re still in school- hang in there!
Have a lovely day or night guys.